Monday, October 15, 2012

Kealakekua beach and a parking lot tree

May 3rd was an awesome horseback ride along the Kings' Trail, in southern Kona. I didn't attempt any sketching from horseback, but I did a sketch when we broke for lunch and snorkeling at the lava beach of Kealakekua. It was my first time snorkeling and a really cool experience to float and watch the schools of colorful fish swim around. It was an amazing secluded location, just Allan, myself, the guide, the horses and two dogs along with the beautiful landscape. I couldn't have dreamed of a more wonderful place to accept a marriage proposal. :)
May 4th was a relaxing morning and a late afternoon tour up to the top of volcano Mauna Kea, the highest peak in Hawaii. I sketched this while waiting outside of a bakery called "Buns in the Sun" for our shuttle bus to arrive. There are several observatories on top of Mauna Kea where we stood to watch the sun set. On the way back down the mountain, we did some star gazing with the help of the tour guides and powerful portable telescopes.

No comments: